Massive yet elegant, these grand structures are regarded as the finest pieces of Islamic Cairo. On this tour you will get to learn more about Islam and it’s history in Egypt.
In the afternoon we will take you in a walk through the skinny lanes of Khan Al Khalili which are basically a medieval-style mall. This agglomeration of shops – many arranged around small courtyards – stock everything from soap powder to semiprecious stones, not to mention tacky toy camels and alabaster pyramids.
What is included in the tour
- Transfers from your hotel by an air conditioned vehicle.
- Services of an expert Egyptologist guide.
- Water as per consumption.
- All required entrance fees.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any sites not stated in the program.
- Camera tickets.
- Personal expenses.
- Islamic Cairo: Take a fascinating tour of Islamic Cairo, including the beautiful and graceful Mohamed Ali Mosque and the ancient Citadel, a spectacular medieval fortress perched on a hill above the city. Originally built by Salah El-Din in 1176 to fortify the city against the Crusaders, the Citadel was modified and enlarged over the centuries by subsequent rulers and today is a complex of three mosques and four museums.
- Ibn Tulon Mosque: Visit the oldest intact mosque in Egypt built in the 9th century, climb up it’s unique minaret and have a great view of old Islamic Cairo
- Gayer Anderson House (Optional): Your tour today can include a stop at the little-visited but beautiful Gayer Anderson House, dating from the 16th century and named after the British major, John Gayer-Anderson, who occupied and restored it between 1935 and 1942. In 1942 he bequeathed the house and all its exotic furnishings to Egypt for use as a museum.
- Sultan Hassan & Refaei Mosques: Take a fascinating tour of Islamic Cairo, including the beautiful and graceful mosques of Sultan Hassan & Refaei. Two of the best examples of the Islamic architecture, learn about the Iranian Revolution when you visit the Refaei Mosque where you visit the final rest of the Shah of Iran.