Coptic Cairo is a part of Old Cairo which encompasses the Babylon Fortress, the Coptic Museum, the Hanging Church, the Greek Church of St. George and many other Coptic churches and historical sites.
It is believed in Christian tradition that the Holy Family visited this area and stayed at the site of Saints Sergius & Bacchus Church.
What is included in the tour
- Transfers from your hotel by an air conditioned vehicle.
- Services of an expert Egyptologist guide.
- Water as per consumption.
- All required entrance fees.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any sites not stated in the program.
- Camera tickets.
- Personal expenses.
- Coptic Cairo: Your Egyptologist will guide you today round the highlights of Coptic Cairo. There you will find the remains of the old Fortress of Babylon, built at the time of the Romans in Egypt to protect the country from invading enemies.
- Churches: The walls of the fortress enclose the Church of St. Sergius, which is built on a crypt considered to be one of the resting places of the Holy Family during their flight to Egypt 2000 years ago. You will also see the “Hanging Church”, supported by only one column, and boasting incredible paintings inside.
- Synagogue of Ben Ezra: Visit the Synagogue of Ben Ezra, from the time of the once thriving Jewish community in Egypt under the leadership of Rabbi Ben Ezra. Inside were discovered the so-called “Geniza Documents”, which showed an unparalleled source of information about life of the Jews in Egypt’s past.
- Coptic Museum (Optional): You will also enter the Coptic Museum, which displays a wonderful collection of medieval statues, bells, bone carvings, frescoes, icons and colorful textiles.